Lennie Ross Shares Her Thoughts on Writing


Lennie Ross is dropping by Writer’s Corner today. Thank you for stopping by and sharing about your latest book. She has worked as a copy writer for radio and television. She then worked her way into the screen trade working on screen plays for television and movies. Blow Me is her debut release.


What inspired you to write?
 
I've been writing for years. It's just what I do. I started writing poetry when I was ten years old. I wrote a novel when I was eighteen (it was never published), and I wrote my first screenplay shortly thereafter. I can't really explain what inspires me. I think writers are very sensitive, emotional people and they just have to write much like actors have to act and painters have to paint. As for what inspired me to write this novel? I wanted to try a new medium, and my writer friends always say I am good at long format and suggested I write a novel. So, I figured why not! 


What authors have influenced your writing?

I
 love so many authors. I am particularly a fan of women's contemporary fiction, or chick lit. I read everything Jennifer Weiner, Emily Giffen and Candace Bushnell write. But, I also enjoy the comedy of Tina Fey and Chelsea Handler. One of my all time favorite women's authors is Pamela Houston who wrote a great collection of short stories on her relationship called "Cowboys Are My Weakness."


What advice would you give to new writers?

Writers write. They don't talk about writing, join groups to read other writing, and think about writing. They sit down and write. If you find that impossible, then you have probably chosen the wrong career. I think the most difficult thing about writing is finding something worthy of writing. Once you have a good story, it's all downhill. Kidding. It's a crazy roller coaster ride, but if you are truly a writer, you will love the process as much as you hate it. 

What topics inspire you to write?

I've written absolutely everything from dental brochures and articles on surfing and vintage cars to erotic screenplays and "disease of the week" TV movies. When you are a writer, you are constantly looking for work and you take anything that pays, so "food" and "paying the rent" inspire one to write. But, as for true inspiration. Anything and everything can inspire me to write. Finding the time is the most challenging component to writing.

Is it challenging to write a book from three different points of view?

It's extremely challenging to write from three different points of view, but I think it makes the story more interesting. This was my first novel and deciding on tense and voice, and keeping consistent, were the greatest challenges for me. 

What about Sex and the City inspired you?

I always loved Sex and the City, and of course saw myself as Carrie Bradshaw. I think it changed the face of chick lit and of women's television. The characters are very real (despite their glamorous lives which I find a little unrealistic—I don't know a single woman writer with Carrie's clothing budget). And, I just loved the way the girls related. What I wanted to do with my novel was make a Los Angeles version of Sex and the City—something a little grittier and a little less glamorous. 

What interests do you have besides writing?

I have so many interests. I think that's what fuels my writing. I cannot possibly do everything I want to do and be everything I want to be, but I can create characters who can do it all and be it all for me. I think that's also what draws people to acting. When you have varied interests, it's hard to pick on career. Creating characters is like playing "dress up" you can be a princess, or a CEO of a fortune 500 company, or an astronaut. Whatever your mind can create, you can live it a little as you create it. Back to my interests, I love food, wine, travel, cooking, dancing (though I'm not terribly skilled at dancing). I think I just have a huge passion for life and so many interests in so many things. Writing allows me to explore these interests.

What are you working on for your next project?

As much as I would love to start a new project, right now I am so busy marketing Blow Me that I'm not sure when I will have time to focus on my next novel. I do have a few ideas brewing, but they are not ready to be shared with the world. I already have people asking if I will write a sequel to Blow Me. Let's just say, it's not out of the realm of possibility. But, I'm not sure I want to spend another year or two with these three girls right now. I may need to return to them later.


In your career you have had many roles in the screen trade from writer to talent agent. Were you able to wear many hats during the publishing process of your book?

I have worn so many hats during the process, primarily out of necessity as I am self-publishing, self-promoting, self-everything. Having a background in film production has certainly helped me strategize, organize and problem solve.


You explore the theme of change in your character’s lives. Why was this important to you?

I am a big fan of Chris Vogler's book The Writer's Journey. Characters have to change and ideally grow. They must face challenges, they must learn from their mistakes, and they must either sink or swim. Two of my characters manage to dog-paddle through life, one is a little less fortunate. I think every woman faces tremendous challenges in life, and I wanted readers to be able to identify with my characters. No woman has a perfect life, and neither do my characters. 


Did you use any stories from your blog in this story?

Because I write a blog which offers some advice on dating, some people assume my novel is actually a dating advice book. With a title like "Blow Me" that would be some advice! The blog started well after the novel was written. I think you will find similar themes in the blog, but the content is entirely different.

What book has excited you the most this summer?

I really enjoyed Tina Fey's novel, Rob Lowe's biography and Summer and the City by Candace Bushnell. It would fascinating to see how Candace wrote about the earlier lives of her characters whom we know so well to be in their 30's and 40's. In Summer and the City, they are 18-24 years old and it's quite fun to see how they were as young women. I think Candace is quite a remarkable writer and a real inspiration. 

Comments

Popular Posts

Part 2 of the Follower’s Love Giveaway

Clearing Shelves Giveaway Blog Hop

Welcome to this year’s Author In Bloom Giveaway!