A Visit With Family Can Become So Much More


I met Lisa Wingate a couple of years ago when she stopped by FoxTale Book Shoppe on tour for The StoryKeeper.  I loved Before We Were Yours and could not wait to dive into this one.   Will this be one to check out at the beach?

Synopsis: 

Successful New York editor, Jen Gibbs, is at the top of her game with her new position at Vida House Publishing -- until a mysterious manuscript from an old slush pile appears on her desk. Turning the pages, Jen finds herself drawn into the life of Sarra, a mixed-race Melungeon girl trapped by dangerous men in the turn of the century Appalachia. A risky hunch may lead to The Story Keeper's hidden origins and its unknown author, but when the trail turns toward the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains, a place Jen thought she'd left behind forever, the price of a blockbuster next book deal may be higher than she's willing to pay. (amazon)

My Thoughts: 

I enjoyed the story of The Storykeeper.    I am always intrigued when the author writes about the publishing industry from a fictional perspective.  Jen Gibbs story arc  is her position of an editor did much to drive the plot.  I was not however as much of a fan of the Rand and Sara part of the story.  Ms. Wingate did a great job researching the life in Appalachia.  I listened to the audiobook.  I liked the narrator but her use of a different voice for the male roles was a turn off for me. 

One theme explored in this story is family.  Jen Gibbs family was conflicted due to its past entanglements with a cult.  Where  Owen’s family was divided by the past as well.  Rand was also conflicted due to his family because he could not bring Sarra into his world of wealth and privilege.   I loved how each of these characters rose above to step out of their defined roles as established by their families and history.  I don’t know that I would have the courage to do the same.

To purchase a copy of the recent release of Tending Roses here. 

Rating: 


Please visit Lisa Wingate:



Comments

Popular Posts

Part 2 of the Follower’s Love Giveaway

Clearing Shelves Giveaway Blog Hop

Welcome to this year’s Author In Bloom Giveaway!