Monday, October 5, 2015

And the Journey Begins…

April began much like March; I was looking for apartments and putting together the garage sale.  The week of the garage sale was April 18th.   The Thursday night two days prior to it.  I got out of the shower and noticed that the nipple on my left breast had turned light brown.  My first thought was this was not normal.  I called my mother who was out of town taking care of my sister after her surgery.  We agreed that I needed to get it checked out. 

The day of the garage sale did not go as planned because of weather.  As I was cleaning up the garage, I made a visit to Urgent Care in Conyers.  The doctor gave me a referral to see a Breast Surgeon.  I saw him the following week.  He wanted me to get a mammogram and ultrasound.  This was planned for May 1st.  Now for those of you who don’t know one good thing about Obamacare is women get free mammograms except in my case.  Mine was considered diagnostic which means that I owed the hospital money because of not reaching my deductible and max out of pocket. 
I had never had a mammogram before.  Mom and I had planned to go out and make a decision on an apartment.  We went to the hospital. I knew that they would find something on the left breast but hoped it would just be an infection.  After the mammogram and ultrasound, mom and I were called into the nurse navigator office. We were told that it was more serious than that and they wanted to make an appointment with the surgeon for the following week.  I once again conveyed my concerns about paying for care.

The following week my parents left to close on the condo in Florida.  I assured them that the doctor’s appointment would be fine and we would “discuss a biopsy of the left breast.”  I was wrong I found myself walking from the doctor’s office at the hospital to the women’s’ care wing where they biopsied the lymph node under my left arm.  I was told that I couldn’t go back to work for two days.  I found myself with the weekend to wonder what they would find.

To be continued Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment