So Does the Finale Create a Great End?



Breaking the Rules by Barbara Taylor Bradford (BTB) is supposed to be the finale of the Harte Family series.  This novel is different from the others in the series.  The plot twist is different than the normal BTB novels.

Synopsis: 

M. has come to New York to start her career in modeling.  It is off to a slow start until her friend Geo introduces her to Frankie a fashion photographer. His death seems to put M.’s career on hold until his protégé Luke takes over. He discovers and helps launch her career.  Shortly thereafter she meets actor Larry Vaughan and marries him.  All of the sudden accidents start happening around M.  Who could possibly be behind them?  Will her family survive these attacks?  What will M. do to protect them?

My Thoughts: 

Before I share my thoughts on Breaking the Rules, I thought I would share about the Harte Family series.  I had did read some other reviews as I listened to the novel.  I have read the series up to now.  I probably had the same questions of what happened to Paula and her family?   Many fans had this question.  Enter the next set of novels Emma’s Secret, Unexpected Blessings, and Just Rewards.  Fans wanted to know what happened to Johnathan Ainsley.  Breaking the Rules was supposed to answer this question. 

I liked the novel but had a hard time understanding the purpose of the M. character.  Or how would Johnathan Ainsley meet his demise?  The first half you the reader are given vague references as to who M. is.  Her character is basically built through the first half.  If the point was she is to stand alone and work hard for the career she desires then the author is a success. 

For me the part of the novel I didn’t like was the plotting.  I felt that there were too many questions in the beginning.  Such as who is M.?   I was satisfied with the ending.   Then I vaguely remembered from reading Just Rewards that Paula had another daughter Emma.  Once I made this connection it was an Aha moment for me.  I also was not a fan of the narration of the novel because it did not distinguish the characters separately very well.

Rating:

3.75/5

Please visit Barbara on her Facebook page, Twitter, and her Website.

Comments

Popular Posts

Part 2 of the Follower’s Love Giveaway

Clearing Shelves Giveaway Blog Hop

Come and Join us For a Night Out With the Ladies Review and Giveaway