Welcome to a Cold Case



Thank you to TLC Book Tours and William Morrow for a copy of the novel After I’m Gone by Laura Lippman.  The genre of this novel is mystery.

Synopsis:

Felix Brewer is leaving his family and everything he knows because of an impending prison term.  He tries hard to prepare his family including his mistress Julie Saxony for the fact that he will not be there in the future.   Will they heed his advice?  Ten years pass and Julie Saxony goes missing.  Police investigate but nothing happens with the investigation until it reaches retired detective Sandy Sanchez.  What will he find?  Will his investigation lead to Felix Brewer? 

My Thoughts: 

This novel initially interested me because of the question posed by the author.  What happens when the father or husband is taken out of the picture?  How will this event then affect his family?  An event such as this will always have an impact on the people it touches. 

The genre of this novel is mystery.  I felt like I was in a Cold Case television show episode.  I could visualize the episode or the series of the events taking place in the format of the show.  Since this novel is about a “cold case” the author structured the story to really support it.  The structure of the story is told in both the present and past tense.  I had never seen this type of structure in a mystery before and found it very interesting.  Readers will enjoy this aspect of the novel.

The only part of the novel that wasn’t enjoyable for me was that the story did not keep me interested all the way through.  I enjoyed reading it but was able to put it down.

Rating:

4.25/5

Please visit Laura on her Facebook page, Twitter, and her Website.

Comments

Popular Posts

Part 2 of the Follower’s Love Giveaway

Clearing Shelves Giveaway Blog Hop

Welcome to this year’s Author In Bloom Giveaway!