A Family Story Like No Other
Synopsis:
“It is the spring of 1939 and three generations of the Kurc family are doing their best to live normal lives, even as the shadow of war grows closer. The talk around the family Seder table is of new babies and budding romance, not of the increasing hardships threatening Jews in their hometown of Radom, Poland. But soon the horrors overtaking Europe will become inescapable and the Kurcs will be flung to the far corners of the world, each desperately trying to navigate his or her own path to safety.
As one sibling is forced into exile, another attempts to flee the continent, while others struggle to escape certain death, either by working grueling hours on empty stomachs in the factories of the ghetto or by hiding as gentiles in plain sight. Driven by an unwavering will to survive and by the fear that they may never see one another again, the Kurcs must rely on hope, ingenuity, and inner strength to persevere.”(amazon.com)
My Thoughts:
I enjoyed the story. I have a cousin who has traced the lineage of my mother’s side of the family through my maternal grandmother. I think it would be awesome to see shared stories from my relatives. Getting back to Georgia’s relatives and their story, it is a story of survival. I have read many World War II novels. I did not know about Russia invading Poland until later in the war. I also did not know about the extent of the pogroms in Russia. The novel is written well, especially with so many points of view.
Rating:
4/5
Purchase Links for We Were the Lucky Ones
Amazon Barnes and Noble Bookshop
Purchase links for her more recent release One Good Thing
Amazon Barnes and Noble Bookshop

Comments
Post a Comment