Week 5 Bookmarking or Social Tagging?

My initial impressions of bookmarks online and social tagging were not what I thought it would be.  I and others are probably familiar with creating bookmarks in your browser.    Social tagging to me referred to using folksonomies to link data to one another webpages.  How could they work together?  Which is better?

The first article we read this week is about social marketing.  It describes sites that use these functions.  I will use Pinterest as an example in this area.  Social tagging is defined as:

"Social tagging is a way for online users to categorize and share content. Within a social tagging system, users describe and categorize web content with a set of their own keywords, called "tags," and diverse content is searched and shared using these tags.  Because tags generated by individual users also help other users search and organize content, the collections of individually generated tags are called "social  tags." (J-Stor Daily, 2019

 I had never thought of it as a way to social linking between different webpages.  I have a board for  Writer's Corner but had never thought about connecting other blogs or websites that might be useful or create stronger links to this blog.   I have not had much success with doing this kind of marketing with Writer's Corner.  I think I might look for ways to include social links to increase marketing possibilities.

My experience in the past with marketing Writer's Corner lead me to sites that used paid links to refer to Writer's Corner to increase the audience.  I feel that libraries would want to possibly research this option but may not want to put the money into it.   I was for a time part of the Pinterest committee in my library system.  There were many good ideas for boards but none of them included ideas for marketing or creating bookmarks to draw in more of an audience.  I think their way of bookmarking was to follow other boards but not creating links between webpages.  I took time off the committee, but the Pinterest account did not seem to survive.   The library decided to focus their social media efforts in other areas such as Facebook, Twitter, and  Instagram.

Social tagging can provide connection to others.  Marketing may not be cost-effective as being willing to work together. I would like to see library systems be open to working together and offering a way of helping one another.   I feel that social tagging could benefit everyone should one choose to work together.  This could also work by including publishers and authors. It also could be a more cost-effective approach.

Comments

Popular Posts

Part 2 of the Follower’s Love Giveaway

Clearing Shelves Giveaway Blog Hop

Welcome to this year’s Author In Bloom Giveaway!