What’s Your Favorite Austen Novel?



My favorite Austen novel is Pride and Prejudice.  I have read the novel three times.  I am somewhat of a fan of Jane Austen’s work so it is only natural that I would be drawn to Karen Joy Fowler’s The Jane Austen Book Club.  I saw the movie before reading the novel.

Synopsis: 

Jocelyn and Sylvia have known each other since childhood.  They decide one day to form the Jane Austen book club.  This event starts when Sylvia’s husband has left her for another woman.  Then there is her daughter Allegra who brings her own point of view to the discussions.  Who to add next?  An older woman named Bernadette becomes the cherished older women of the group and enthusiastically discusses Austen. Prudie a French high school teacher; who has a love of Austen all her own.  Finally there is Grigg the lone male of the group.  Will this group become more than Austen fans?

My Thoughts: 

I wish I could tell you that I loved this novel but I didn’t.  I didn’t really care for the movie either.  I loved meeting Karen Joy Fowler at the Decatur Book Festival last year.  She is a very entertaining speaker. 

The story is set in southern California in Los Angeles area.  The novel goes into depth describing the relationships between each character plus giving you the reader in depth backgrounds.  The tone is light and superfluous. The plot goes all over the place.

Rating:

3/5

Please visit Karen’s her Website.

Comments

Popular Posts

Part 2 of the Follower’s Love Giveaway

Clearing Shelves Giveaway Blog Hop

Welcome to this year’s Author In Bloom Giveaway!