How Do You Define Unbroken?



Who has seen the movie Unbroken yet?  I think you should be very interested in both the book and the movie Unbroken by Laura Hillendbrand as well.  I loved this story!  I had the honor of listening to the audiobook which was narrated by Bill Herrmann.    

The book covers the life and times of Louis (Louie) Zamperini.  We get the full story from birth to death of Louie.  His early life is split between New York City and Torrance California.  There was one person who made the biggest difference in Louie’s life is his brother Pete Zamperini.  He redirected Louie’s life through his involvement in athletics which carries him to the Olympics of 1936.   

The majority of the book covers Louie’s time in the military and the Prisoner of War (POW) camps in Japan.  What would become of this man through his many experiences?  How would be find the resilience and love for life.  How does he become a man of God?

My Thoughts: 

I honestly thought that I would listen to the first disk and be ready to return it to the library.  I would not want to listen to more of it.  I was so wrong.  The narrator Bill Herrmann made you feel as if he was sitting next to you telling this story.  I often wanted to extend my commutes or road trips just so I could hear more about Louis Zamperini. The story although real is told in such a way that you feel that you are listening to a fiction story.  Laura Hillenbrand has the ability to tell a great story!
How much do you know about the Japanese in World War II?  I learned in school about the atrocities of the Nazis against the Jews, but I knew nothing about the Japanese.  The one exception is the attack on Pearl Harbor. You learn in this book the philosophy of Japanese during the war and how that translates into how they treated the POWs. 

If I could have asked Louis Zamperini one question it would be.  How do you define being Unbroken?

Rating: 

5/5

Please visit Laura Hillenbrand on her Facebook page, Twitter, and her Website.

Comments

Popular Posts

Part 2 of the Follower’s Love Giveaway

Clearing Shelves Giveaway Blog Hop

Come and Join us For a Night Out With the Ladies Review and Giveaway