Who would be Your One and Only?




It is always a delight to run into Emily Giffin each year she has a new novel come out.  This year with The One and Only she has a new publisher Random House and a different direction in her writing.  I am always excited to read or listen to her novel and can’t wait to share this one!


Synopsis:

Shea has grown up with Walker Football and Coach Carr and his family.  Her best
friend is Lucy Carr.  Shea is a Sports Information assistant at Walker.  It keeps her close to her first
love Walker football.  After the death of Connie Carr the coach’s wife circumstances begin to change between Shea and Coach Carr.   He encourages her to take a job with the Dallas Post and gets to date the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys Ryan James.  Is this truly enough?  Shea finds that her thoughts often turning to the coach.  While dating Ryan a tragedy occurs that shakes Shea’s foundation to the core.  Will she be able to let go of the past?


 

My Thoughts: 

A new direction has brought a different path in Emily’s writing which has led to the world of sports.  I know that she is a big fan of college sports.  I am surprised that this novel was not set in Winston Salem at Wake Forest where she went to school.  Texas works very well in this story especially about football.  It is huge in Texas so a very 
appropriate setting. 

When I was in college I was persuing a degree in Athletic Training.  I was exposed to this career in high school prior to this I was very interested in Shea’s position as a Sport’s Information Assistant.  I very much identified with the story.  The tragedy mentioned is accurate to what can happen with athletes.   I loved that Emily had her character stand up for what is right.  The only problem for me was Shea’s relationship with coach Carr which borders on obsessive.   I loved the narration by Sofia Willingham.

I look forward to the next novel from Emily!

Rating: 

4/5

Please visit Emily on her Facebook page, Twitter, and her Website.
















Comments

Popular Posts

Part 2 of the Follower’s Love Giveaway

Clearing Shelves Giveaway Blog Hop

Come and Join us For a Night Out With the Ladies Review and Giveaway